‘Varicose veins are swollen and enlarged veins that usually occur on the legs and feet. They may be blue or dark purple, and are often lumpy, bulging or twisted in appearance….. The symptoms are usually worse during warm weather or if you’ve been standing up for long periods of time. They may improve when you walk around or if you rest and raise your legs.’
Varicose veins are uncomfortable and people often worry about them being unsightly.
The main concern is increasing pressure on the varicosities and in turn, increase them. Be careful with anything that reduces blood flow and circulation to the area or legs in general – like overly tight clothing, prolonged kneeling or crossing legs.
Yoga can help by
- Increasing blood flow and circulation
- Increasing blood flow directly with legs above the heart
- Alleviating swelling and pain
- Come in and out of poses like kneeling
- Stand for long periods of time
- Sit with legs crossed or in kneeling for prolonged periods of time